- "Contracts and the New Generic Top-Level Domains: Best Practices and Important Provisions in Contracts with ICANN and Third-Party Domain Service Providers", with Colin James, Westlaw Journal: Computer & Internet (November 16, 2012).
- "Trademark Owners: Nine Steps to Defend Your Brands on The New Internet", in Illinois Manufacturers' Magazine (Fall 2012).
- "The Fight Over .XXX - Who Owns A Domain Name?" [Ruling in Manwin v. ICM Registry May Lead To Greater Accountability for ICANN], Intellectual Property Magazine (October 2012).
- "Challenges of Intellectual Property and Branding on Regulatory Approvals", with Meggan F. Duffy, Alisa Simmons and Jeffrey S. Sharp, in Nutraceutical and Functional Food Regulations in the United States and Around the World (1st Edition 2008) .
- "Protecting Copyrighted Works in the Mobile App Space", Intellectual Property Magazine (May 2013.)
- Co-Editor of Trademark Practice Forms, Trademark Protection And Practice by Jerome Gilson, Matthew Bender & Co., Inc. (1996 to 2001).
- "Responding to Changes in the Internet and the Economy Against the Backdrop of Recent Case Law and Pending Legislation" , with Gregory J. Chinlund, Intellectual Property Law 2013: Top Lawyers on Trends and Key Strategies for the Upcoming Year (Aspatore Thought Leadership) (2013).
- "Protecting Corporate Brands on the New Internet", Presentation for Chicago Law Bulletin's Corporate Intellectual Property Law Conference, February 8, 2012.
- "Google Propels Books into a Whole New Digital World", Presentation for Licensing Executives Society, September, 2012.
- "The 10 Things Every Practitioner Should Know About Anti-Counterfeiting and Anti-Piracy Protection," Co-Author with Bradley J. Olson, John Maltbie and Ron Epperson, 7 Journal of High Technology Law 106 (2007) and Presented at IPO Annual Meeting (2006).
- "The Reality of Reality TV: Trademark Rights and the Television Industry" and "IP Audits: Practical Tips for Practitioners" Moderator and speaker, INTA Trademark Administrators Conference, (October 2011).
- "What We Talk About When We Talk About The Google Book Settlement," Mini-Plenary Session Panel Member for Licensing Executives Society annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (September 2010).
- "The China Syndrome in The Internet Age: China and the Challenge of Counterfeiting on the Internet," Presentation for U.S. Patent and Trademark Office "China Road Show", Kansas City, Missouri (September 2007).
- Co-Chair, INTA Trademarks in Cyberspace 2005 Forum. "IP Eye For The Geek Guy,” INTA Trademarks in Cyberspace 2005. Forum panel (September 2005).
Links to press articles...
IP Law Presentations
Chicago Legal Services
Providing intellectual property and Internet use education is an important aspect of Michael's service to the greater public. Apart from writing, he frequently gives IP law presentations in Chicago and nationwide on the subjects of trademark, copyright and Internet legal issues to organizations and companies, as well as in college classes. He enjoys helping business people understand the value of their intellectual property, teaching them the fundamentals of trademark, copyright and online media law. He is passionate about informing others and sharing his knowledge of intellectual property, believing that well-informed clients are better able to establish intellectual property programs in support of their companies' business goals. Michael is also committed to educating companies and Internet users on domain name, intellectual property, and governance issues in the belief that informed participation is essential to the conscientious development of the Internet.
Michael is an Adjunct Professor with DePaul University College of Law in Chicago, where he supervises the Technology & Intellectual Property Clinic, guiding students in working with a broad range of clients to ensure and protect their IP rights. Colleagues have called Michael's enthusiasm and experience contagious, and he would be eager to work with clients, companies and organizations to provide meaningful information in entertaining presentations. Contact us.
Michael is an informative and entertaining speaker, and would enjoy the opportunity to speak before your meeting or organization. Please complete the following form and he will get back to you regarding dates and availability:
Contact me to speak